Maxmillian's Gold: Hide Your E-mail
from Website Harvesting Spiders!
Article by Ronald J. Saunders
Yes, this is a real menace to you! It may sound like
an agricultural pest but it is actually a website pest.
The spider programs are designed to scour through millions
of web pages and collect every e-mail address they can
find. Including yours! Fortunately there are a couple
of ways that you can use to prevent them from getting
yours. I will not bother to go into a tutorial about
the simple ways that have already been overcome by the
spiders, although interesting, you need to get moving
to change your methodology now. The second most useful
way to have a contact from your website is my using
a form submission. You can find information on the form
method by clicking on the menu item at the left side
of this page.
Here is what this code will print on your web page:
We welcome your comments and questions.
Send an E-mail to
Here is how to put it into your web page:
Some familiarity with coding is helpful when doing this kind of work.
If you are familiar with Java Script code, then you can
easily ascertain what the code is doing. For the less
initiated, this code is simply taking the elements that
make up the e-mail address and is putting them together
in a way that fools the spider. The spider program is
looking for the format of an e-mail address such as firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Java Script, however, never displays the address in
the conventional format. Instead, it use the document.write
statement to piece all the elements together.
download this article
- Open your web page with notepad or your text editor. Do not use word processing software because they will include formatting codes that will ruin your page.
- Highlight the code that I have provided on my page.
- Right click and copy the code; then paste it into your page.
- Remove the two tags <!-- and //-->
- On the line: var contact = "maxmillian" change maxmillian to your website name
- On the line: var email = "sales" change the word sales to your email ID.
That's everything before the @ sign in your email
- On the line: var your_emailHost = "maxmillian.com" change maxmillian.com to your webmail collection site/IP provider.
- Now test the script by sending yourself an e-mail.
Don't skip this step or I will get all your e-mail!